Tuesday, November 07, 2006

"The Angry Electorate... Unleashing Sweeping Change"

Ah, Election Tuesday. Brian Williams is in excellent voice tonight and every channel is covering the elections in flamboyant style. They're turning the elections into a thing deserving to be memorialized in Shakesperean drama. No rock will go unturned... no point of minutia is too small! Does it bother anyone else that one night every two years the media spends time covering our government in a disturbingly thorough way but spends most of the rest of the year talking about Madonna adopting an African child or issues like abortion and bird flu, which have no answers? That bothers me. It bothers me that our country is broken. Our government is broken. And these things aren't broken beyond repair and they haven't been broken by the American people; they've been broken by the career politicians that Americans blindly trusted and voted into office; they've been broken by the divisive tactics of people like Karl Rove and his ilk. None of this has to do with Democrat or Republican, it has to do with spending more time finding commonalities, not focusing on our differences.

I think I'm ready to be Swiss. At least they have hot chocolate.

I don't want this to instigate a full-on political discussion, as this blog is meant to be anything BUT serious. But I just can't help but reflect on my country today... and rejoice in the fact that in just a few short hours all of the miserable, mud-slinging campaign ads will be a thing of the past and I can start crying over Hallmark commercials again and thinking about the pleasant time of the year that comes after this misery. And let me encourage you all to give to "Toys for Tots" this year... last year they only got enough donations to give to half of the children they wanted to, and that makes me sad. 'Tis the Season.

No comments: